Saturday 14 March 2009

Finding the plans and the organ society.

There is a strong group of avid street organ lovers on the Internet. There is allot of information available on how to make your own street organ of the sort and size which I am interested in making. The one which is most recommended is John Smith's 20 note street organ. Discovering this over the summer at the Dorset steam fair I went about purchasing the plans and DVD written by John Smith.

http://www.melright.com/busker/jsmith.htm

From the plans I could see that this was designed for people with little experience of building and making. Also clear was that John Smith certainly knew what he was doing, but was not always very good at explaining this to other people. So on one hand I found that I could make the plans allot better. On the other hand I was completely out of my depth in decoding how to engineer this mechanical musical instrument. I have no previous knowledge of making mechanical objects or musical instruments so there was allot to learn and experiment with. I found this very exciting and daughting.

1 comment:

Bernard said...

Hi My name is Bernard, I'm a friend of John Smith and a member of BOGA and also MOOS. I was with John on Sunday over at the Amersham Organ Museum. The JS 20 note is not too difficult to build. You need to take it slow and test at each stage. If you need any advice etc. drop in on my blog and leave a message:-
http://tracker-bar.blogspot.com/
Good luck Bernard