Sunday 15 March 2009

Wood Carving.

The small traditional street organs often looked like little wooden cabinets with decorative inlays and occasionally wooden carvings. I know that the bigger ones also used painted wood carvings. I wonder weather plaster was ever used as well? Although this would make them less tough.

I've started looking into wood carving. I would have liked to carve my street organ in the traditional way but it would have taken far too long. Especially as this is not a historical reproduction this seamed unnecessary.

This site was a useful starting point.

http://www.carvingpatterns.com/

1 comment:

Bernard said...

Hi there, Bernard here.
Carving is a expression of your character. From a solid block of wood comes a three dimensional creation that did not exist before you started.
I wanted a traditional carved front on my organ. I sketched out the design and then made a start. I bought carving tools and spent all summer (2 years ago) carving the pieces. As it was symmetrical, the left side had to be the same as the right. Any mistakes would show up.
guess what...this front is still not finished.
In order to get the organ finished I started on a second front with a simpler design using commercial mouldings. This is finished and is on the organ now. I have detachable fronts so it is easy to change them over.
Hope to finish the carved front this year and will post it on my blog..