Saturday 18 April 2009

Making bellows 3 - the reservoir box.

The reservoir is similar to the bellows. But one important difference which took me a while to figure out is that it has no bottom. The reservoir box sits strait on top of the pair of bellows. I only figured this out when I looked at the reservoir box and realized that I was just making a completely sealed box which would have no air going in or out!

So I had to make a hole in the bottom to let the air in.
The holes wasn't big enough so I removed the whole bottom.

The most important part of the reservoir is making a good spill valve and making sure that there are no air gaps when connecting it to the bellows.

The spill valve makes sure that the bellows do not burst and allows excess air to escape easily.

Once the whole assembly is complete PVA glue or silicon can be used to seal round any edges. Testing at this point is very important. The bellows should be strong enough to stay full for 10 seconds with a full bag of 1kg sugar on top. I had to be careful to make sure not to let the bellows burst by restricting the spill valve so that the bellows could not be any more than 40mm.

No comments: