Sunday 19 April 2009

Presure box continued.

These brass rods are placed here specifically to keep pressure on top of the music. This is so that air can only get to the pipes through the holes in the music and not from under the music.
I used a combination of plain wooden bearing blocks and metal bearings. I've never used either of these items before so it was a steep learning curve. They are very important in keeping the crank mechanism in the correct place so that it connects with the idler shaft. It was difficult to keep all the items in this back section from interfering with each other.
The little white patch is black out clothe over the hole where the take up spool lives. I don't know if much air would escape from here. But I thought better safe than sorry!
This is where the music starts its journey. I mounted the brackets on a piece of hardwood to ensure that they where the right distance from each other. The holes in the bottom of the one on the right are for the air to come in from the bellows. (Wish I'd lazered out a more exciting shape now!)
At first I thought that it would be nice to dye the wood of the pressure box. I wanted it to match the outside of the box which would be mahogany or something similar. But it looked terrible. So I sanded it off again.

No comments: