Saturday 18 April 2009

Pipe making one

After finding the appropriate wood to use for the pipes I set about cutting out the pipes in the workshop (again). I found it much better using Tulip wood instead of the balsa wood. It was much easier to get a good finish and I enjoyed working with it much more. I think sometimes it is wise to consider what material to use even if you have been given advice from an expert.

There are 20 whistles meaning that there are 80 sides, 20 top's, 20 stoppers, 20 mouth pieces and 20 front covers to make. I have found that the more air tight the whistle is the better the sound. Also it is important to get the mouth piece just right too, the angle must be very precise to make the right sound.

This considered it is important that every piece is very square. It was challenging but I found that with patience I made steady progress. It's very hard for me to not get distracted so I set my self goals for how long every note and job would take. Often I didn't make these goals and it became distressing so I tried a system of working on pipes for 40 minutes and then a 10 minute break. In this way I got allot more done.

Once all the parts were the right size I could stick the sides together and tackle the problem of getting all the mouth pieces and front covers the same angle.

No comments: