Sunday 19 April 2009

Presure box one.



Looking at my plans I found it difficult to imagine exactly how this part of the organ could possibly do all it promised. It wanted to be airtight. It wanted to carry the music across the tracker bar. It wanted to crank the bellows. It wanted to be able to rewind the organ. It did allot, all in a compact box. Originally I wanted to make the presure box by hand using a dark thin hard wood as this would be a nice colour to go with the outside of the box which I wanted to also be a dark hard wood. But unfortunatly it was very difficult to find such a thing. When I did spend time and effort to plain down some mahogany (whcih I was given from the workshop) I found it warped all over the place and I couldn't use it for this acurate part of the organ.

So I desided to use lazer ply. This is ply which is specially designed to go into the lazer cutter. It cuts easier and the glue used is better for the lazer cutters ventaliation system. I got my lazer ply from the following shop:


I chose them as they had the thicknesses I was looking for. They are also the cheapest. Unfortunaly it took 3 weeks to arrive which made it quite a rush to cut out. But I had plenty of things to do while I waited.

All this considered I set about making card marcettes on the lazer cutter.
I needed to work out adjustments for where the idler wheel went. The Idler wheel fits in between the take up spool and the crank sharft and needs to be able to connect with both.

I needed to adjust the hole for the tracker bar to fit in so that all the pipes coming out of it fit into this slot. It is important that the tracker bar lives in the right place so that the music goes over exactly the right holes.

This wall was compleatly the wrong size and needed to be re-rynoed.

No comments: