Sunday 19 April 2009

Shallac the pipes.





I looked into several finishes for the pipes. I also considered would finish would further seal the pipes from any little air gaps. I found that waxes and wood dyes would not give any extra seal. Vanish would give a good seal but I didn't like the finish so much. I found that shellac was the perfect high quality finish and offered a bit of a seal. I also sealed the inside with watered down pva. Any air gaps where a massive no-no for a good sound. I mitered the two larger pipes. I made the mistake of mitering the pipes by making 2 cuts. (you can see the wasted piece of triangle pipe) This made the sound higher. It JUST about makes the right note now. Also included is all the pipe stoppers with French polish on. French polish is a tyoe of shellac which is designed for lighter woods.

No comments: