Sunday 19 April 2009

Sculpting the Front

This is the sculpt before it was moulded. I looked at it and decided that I could make a block mould.

I made an MDF wall around the sculpt and blocked out the middle to save on using too much silicon.


However it used half a whole tin of silicon! This was a major use of expense materials. I now realize that the wise thing to do was use the method which I learnt earlier in the project. Previously I thought that this could only be used when moulding hard objects. I now know that you can cover your sculpt in cling film to stop it getting damaged and then fiber glass on top of that in the same way as my test mould before. This would have used allot less silicon.


I used this osolating saw to cut the majority of the waste fiber glass from around the edge. It was very hard to get into all the tiny gaps. Allot was done by dremal or by hand.

No comments: